What do you need?

Use the search below to search the site or find your local unit office.

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

Healthy Weights for Healthy Kids: What Should I Do if My Child Is Overweight?

ID

348-273 (HNFE-215P)

Authors as Published

Amy Rasor, Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, Virginia Tech; Elena Serrano, Associate Professor, Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise, Virginia Tech; Kathryn Branstad, Former Graduate Student, Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise, Virginia Tech

Cover, Healthy Weights for Healthy Kids: What Should I Do if My Child Is Overweight?

This publication is available in PDF format only.

If your child is overweight, he or she is not alone. Overweight and obesity are growing at epidemic rates among American children and teens. The rate has tripled in 30 years and is expected to rise. In 2012, 18 percent of children ages 6 to 11 and 20 percent of adolescents ages 12 to 19 were considered obese.

Rights

Virginia Cooperative Extension materials are available for public use, re-print, or citation without further permission, provided the use includes credit to the author and to Virginia Cooperative Extension, Virginia Tech, and Virginia State University.

Publisher

Issued in furtherance of Cooperative Extension work, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia State University, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture cooperating. Edwin J. Jones, Director, Virginia Cooperative Extension, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg; Jewel E. Hairston, Administrator, 1890 Extension Program, Virginia State, Petersburg.

Date

December 10, 2014